Cuba is now a Bitcoin hotspot with residents embracing the cryptocurrency in record numbers, trailing only Nigeria in terms of adoption.
According to Google Trends data, the former Spanish colony has seen a surge of Bitcoin-related searches in the past few months.
Aside from Nigeria, the countries which top the charts in terms of Bitcoin interest are South Africa, Cameroon and Ghana.
Commentators believe that Cuba’s sudden rise in search reflects the country’s inhabitants growing desire to doge sanctions imposed by the US to gain access to digital financial services.
According to Coinnounce, digital payment firms such as PayPal and Stripe and not available on the island.
In late October, the site reports, Cuban YouTuber Erich Garcia urged the nation to embrace Bitcoin for cross-border transactions.
It comes as central banks across the globe begin to explore the possibility of creating their own digital currencies following years of cynicism about the format and blockchain in general.
MORE NEWS & ARTICLES
- Man Who Threw Away $300 Million in Bitcoin Offers Huge Reward to Get It Back
- ‘Non-zero’ Crypto Addresses Surge as Institutional Investors Pile into Bitcoin
- Almost $1 billion in Bitcoin Linked to The Notorious Silk Road Website Has Just Moved
- Cuba is the New Bitcoin Hotspot as Citizens Embrace Cryptocurrency
- PayPal Embraces Bitcoin – Payment Giant to Offer Crypto Spending
- Nigeria Leads the World When it Comes to Adopting and Using Bitcoin
- Are Legions of Young People About to Pour Their Pocket Money Into Bitcoin?
- Banks Associating Bitcoin with Crime Linked to $2 Trillion in Dirty Money
- 2020 Sees Huge Surge in Bitcoin ATMs Worldwide
- Sealed with a Kiss – legendary rocker Gene Simmons backs Bitcoin